artwork by Carol Seeley

MASTER OF THE SKIES by Carol Seeley

Friday, October 11, 2013

Okanagan Landscape:Colleen Adderley, Maureen Carefoot



...............................................................................................




Statement:
Okanagan Landscape
Representational
Coleen Adderley
My goal with this piece was to produce a true representation of the Okanagan Valley. My husband and I enjoy hiking the trails around Peachland, allowing me to capture some wonderful photos.  Through my passion for quilting and fibre art, I am able to share these images. Working through the process of designing and coordinating this project with my partner was a real pleasure. Maureen was wonderful to work with and she brought forward some great ideas. Together we designed the overall wall hanging image and then agreed that each of us would have the freedom to produce whatever we thought would work best. I feel the final results reflected not only our personalities and skills but achieved the goals we had set out to do.

Techniques: I hand painted the sky and water, added pieced fabric and finished using threadplay and free motion quilting.

Process Photo:
Painted sky and water
................................................................................................


Statement:
Okanagan Landscape
Abstract
Maureen Carefoot
Influenced by Gloria Loughman’s linear landscape technique my aim was to resemble in an abstract way the linear landscape of the Okanagan’s vineyards throughout the valley.  And then to accentuate the brightness and warmth of the sunshine across the Okanagan hillside slopes with the simplicity of open clear skies.  Abstracted Ponderosa pine sentinels rising up from their rocky dry roots are depicted
 in a subjective native quality of 
the Okanagan landscape. 
Techniques: To obtain an abstracted feel and the incorporation of negative space to my piece I used Gloria Loughman’s linear landscape technique for the hillsides.  With the use of Misty fuse to machine appliqué with Superior invisible thread and Bottom Line thread and free motion quilting.  Fabrics used were both hand dyed and commercial.

Process: My  partner for this Abstracted exhibit entry is Coleen Adderley.  During the process of working as a partner team we discussed what mostly influenced us for possible ideas for the entry. Engaging with a partner that was in the same area we were fortunate to be able to meet and go over ideas (Coleen lives in Peachland and myself in Kelowna)   Using Coleen’s photos of the Okanagan landscape and my love of BC Artist John Revill’s portrayal of the Okanagan we felt a natural leaning toward a landscape – who would do the abstraction and realistic rendition?   It was a challenge but eventually concluded that I would try the abstraction and with Coleen’s skill with needle thread, she would do the realistic landscape.  Coleen hand dyed the sky fabric for my abstracted piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment