artwork by Carol Seeley

MASTER OF THE SKIES by Carol Seeley

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Hiking in the Forest: Joyce Brown, Linda MacKay

.......................................................................................................

Hiking in the Forest
Representational
Joyce Brown
The photograph source is from July 2012 during a rainy hike on the Sentinel Pass trail. The streams were full as water poured down the side of the mountain. Moss was growing abundantly in the moist soil.
The outline of the scene is formed with raw edge appliqué. Snippets of dozens of shades of green fabric and yarn give definition to the towering evergreen in the sub-alpine forest. Glitter and sequins make the water dance its way down the steep slope. Highlights were coloured in with paint and markers. The piece was finished with needle felting moss, lichens and liverworts.     Techniques: Raw edge appliqué, thread work, embellishments, painting, felting. Machine quilted
Process: Working with a partner brings a new dimension to creating art quilts – sort of like being a mom you can’t just think of yourself. Even though Linda and I only live under an hour away from each other we both travel and had to do a lot through e-mail. We finally settled on a picture and I started to work. I had a lot of fun trying to bring in detail to make it as realistic as possible. I had just been hiking in this area the year before so it brought back memories of the companionship of a day spent in the mountains. Finally I was done and Linda and I met up so she could see my piece. I brought along some pieces of fabric that I had used for her. As I was heading off to Europe we decided that I would send my piece in early. Thank goodness! We had only been gone for 10 days when the news of the floods in High River reached us. My husband and I had the best evacuation as we stayed in Italy until we were allowed back in town. If I hadn’t mailed the piece it would have gone out with the rest of my sewing room into the dump. Glad for once I didn’t procrastinate. 

 ...................................................................................................................


Hiking in the Forest
‘Looking for the Light’
Abstract
Linda MacKay

Linda MacKay is an artist living in the foothills of Alberta who works in many mediums and loves to design using nature, people, and spiritually derived themes.  She especially loves the creativity of an impressionistic or abstract style but also does realistic portraits to hone her skills. Working in many media helps to cross-pollinate and inform her work.
Abstraction partner Joyce Brown provided the photo to use as the major inspiration.
Techniques: raw edge appliqué, reverse appliqué, machine embroidery, painting, fusing, hand dyed silk and cotton, machine quilting. 

Process:


No comments:

Post a Comment