artwork by Carol Seeley

MASTER OF THE SKIES by Carol Seeley

Monday, October 14, 2013

Arbutus: Sara Judith, Pippa Moore


.........................................................................................................................

Arbutus
Representative
Sara Judith
The beauty, colour and texture of nature inspire me to portray the wonder of world I live in. This arbutus tree with its magnificent change of colour through the seasons, the sinuous, twisting curve of its branches and its resilient, tenacity, clinging to a rocky outcrop, spoke to me. It is a metaphor to me of how to live. So I express it with an old craft form transformed in a modern art context.
Techniques: Hooked and punched with hand dyed wool cloth strips, wool yarns, mohair and cotton chenille on a linen backing.



Process of rug making:
...............................................................................................................

Arbutus
Abstract
Pippa Moore

After deciding that it is the lines of arbutus branches that draw me in and delight me most, I studied one particular tree, simplifying its lines, then repeating and connecting these in an abstract composition. While it references the colours and lines of original tree, I hope to convey something of what I imagine is its inner life, its life story.

Techniques: Fusible appliqué, machine quilting.





No comments:

Post a Comment